Here are 10 keys do’s for presentations and public speaking…many of us, however experienced, could do with using these top tips.
1) Make sure you talk in terms of your audience’s interests. Smile and start on time!
2) Take the time to prepare, practice and just be yourself
3) Use pauses to add impact and emphasise you key points – silence speaks volumes.
4) We have 80 muscles in our face that are capable of producing 7000 facial gestures. Engage them and engage your audience.
5) Look at and visually connect with members of your audience. If you have to use power point or slides make sure they add value and are not just a crutch.
6) Do not bore your audience with technical details they do not need. Simplify your message and avoid acronyms.
7) You don’t have to be a comedian to wow your audience. If you can’t tell a joke, then don’t! Use anecdotes or short movie clips if you want to add spice.
8) Ensure you have a clear structure to your speech with a beginning middle and end with appropriate signposts and transitions to keep your audience on track
9) Use your voice to project varying the pace and pitch – use gestures to emphasise key points.
10) Avoid boring language. Use adjectives, adverbs and rhetorical devices such as metaphors and similes.
Which of these are key for you? I would put preparation, practice and being yourself as number one…